RE: [Xen-devel] Re: graphics passthrough with VT-d

To: 'Christian Tramnitz' <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>, "'xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: graphics passthrough with VT-d
From: "Han, Weidong" <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:08:25 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 01:09:02 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christian Tramnitz wrote:
> Actually yes, that helped a lot. And finally some progress on VGA
> passthrough:
>
> I have a X58 board with two ATI PCIe cards (RV770 and RV370).
> Currently the RV770 is the primary card that is used during bootup
> and also with Xorg in dom0 (radeonhd-only no fglrx).
> With the latest patches in this thread and a recent Xenclient kernel
> (haven't tested 2.6.18 in a while) I was able to passthrough the RV370
> to a HVM domu, seeing the BIOS boot and the OS loading in text mode
> and then going into graphics mode.
> Windows (both pre-installed images I had and new installation attempts
> from CD) isn't working yet, telling me I don't have a fully ACPI
> compliant BIOS and quiting with a BSOD and STOP 0x5A, but I guess
> thats a minor thing because I've got a stock Knoppix to boot and load
> in gfx mode on the passthrough graphics card.
>
> I really haven't expected that much progress since I haven't heard
> about any ATI tests at all for a while. Now I'm looking to get the
> STOP 0x5A resolved and then passthrough additional devices (USB,
> Sound, Network, Storage controller) and I'll also try to swap the
> RV370 and RV770 to get some 3D performance into the HVM domU.
>
> Observations so far:
> - when creating the domU while I'm in text mode the dom0 stalls. It
> doesn't lock up completely but the terminal and keyboard are frozen.
> When I create the domU while dom0 is running X everything is fine.

When you passthrough secondary gfx to guest, it needs to claim the VGA cycle
for assigned gfx to display guest booting progress. Then primary gfx doesn't
own the VGA cycle to display text mode. In your case, pls use X in dom0 or use
VNC to access dom0.

> - none of the HVM domU's have picked up the USB bus I tried to
> passthrough (with keyboard and mouse attached). Not sure if I just
> passed through the wrong bus or something else is broken

Firstly, make sure you assign the correct USB controllers attached keyboard and
mouse to guest. BTW, I found USB controller assignment doesn't work well with
pv-ops dom0

> - after a domU is stopped it will still show the last image on the
> passthrough gfx card (Knoppix desktop or Windows BSOD in my case)

It seems that the gfx card is not reset (FLR).

> - after a couple of restarts (xm destroy/ the hard way due to lack of
> mouse/keyboard in domU) the secondary ATI gliteched and only showed a
> gren screen, had to reboot to get it working again.

I think it's still related to gfx reset (FLR).

Regards,
Weidong