[Xen-devel] Re: Xen is a feature

To: George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen is a feature
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:14:39 +0300
Cc: "npiggin@xxxxxxx" <npiggin@xxxxxxx>, "jeremy@xxxxxxxx" <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "wimcoekaerts@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <wimcoekaerts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gregkh@xxxxxxx" <gregkh@xxxxxxx>, ksrinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, "kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx" <kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx>, "x86@xxxxxxxxxx" <x86@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>, "avi@xxxxxxxxxx" <avi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "EAnderson@xxxxxxxxxx" <EAnderson@xxxxxxxxxx>, "jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx" <jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx>, "mingo@xxxxxxx" <mingo@xxxxxxx>, "torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 May 2009 08:55:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 01:01:18PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> David Miller wrote:
> >I don't see Ingo's comments, whether I agree with them or not, as
> >an implication of Xen being niche.  Rather I see his comments as
> >an opposition to how Xen is implemented.
> >
> It's in his definition of "improving Linux".  Jeremy is saying that
> allowing Linux to run as dom0 *is* improving Linux.  The lack of dom0
> support is at this moment making life more difficult for a huge number
> of Linux users who use Xen, including Mozilla, Debian, and Amazon.
> Adding dom0 support would make Linux even more useful to a wide variety
> of people not using Xen at the moment.

Like stated already earlier, there is a huge amount of Xen in use all around
the globe for server/datacenter virtualization. Personally I know many Xen
installations in production, but not a single KVM installation (I'm sure those
exist aswell, but personally I haven't seen those).

At the moment it's pretty painful for the distro developers to ship dom0
enabled kernels (most of the distros do ship or are waiting for upstream
dom0 enabled kernel), and also for many advanced users who build their custom
Xen
based solutions..

The current situation is not good for anyone. We really need Xen dom0
support in mainline Linux.

Just my 2 eurocents.

-- Pasi