Re: [Xen-devel] Windows HVM cannot auto reboot with more than 2 VCPU

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Windows HVM cannot auto reboot with more than 2 VCPU
From: Sönke Schwardt <schwardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:06:38 +0100
Cc: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 04:08:17 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

Am Donnerstag, 5. März 2009 15:20:19 schrieb Tim Deegan:
> > We can reproduce a hanging win2k3 guest on normal windows reboot if 4
> > vcpus are used. The guest is switched off correctly after windows
> > shutdown and reboots without problem if only 2 vcpus are assigned to
> > this guest.
>
> Huh.  I would have expeceted it to use the same reboot code on all SMP
> configurations.  But the ways of Windows are indeed strange.

Yes, indeed.

In the meantime I had access to that specific system and gathered some
additional information:
- xen 3.2 / kernel 2.6.18
- problem happens with Win2003 Enterprise Edition if 3 or 4 vcpus
  are assigned and reboot has been initiated via start menu.
- happens with and without windows updates
- happens with and without Windows ACPI HAL (acpi=1 / acpi=0)
- no virus scanners installed
- problem does NOT happen if restart has been initiated via external
  tools like daemontools (using daemontools is no real workaround since
  this system has to install new windows updates during night hours and
  related automatic reboots causing that hanging guest)

In case of error one vcpu is busy (80% to 120% cpu usage):
xm> vcpu-list
Name      ID  VCPU CPU State Time(s) CPU Affinity
Domain-0   0  0    4   r--   58905.6 any cpu
xen01     38  0    7   r--     180.2 any cpu
xen01     38  1    3   -b-      17.3 any cpu
xen01     38  2    2   -b-      15.7 any cpu
xen01     38  3    -   --p      12.9 any cpu
xm> top
   NAME  STATE   CPU(sec) CPU(%)     MEM(k) MEM(%)  MAXMEM(k) MAXMEM(%) VCPUS
NETS NETTX(k) NETRX(k) VBDS   VBD_OO   VBD_RD   VBD_WR SSID
xnts008 -----r        276  112.7    1056640    3.1    1064960      3.2     4
1        0        0    1        0        0        0  2149957416

Any ideas for a solution? Can I provide additional information to
track this down?

Regards

 Sönke
--