Re: [Xen-devel] Windows HVM cannot auto reboot after cashdump with more

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Windows HVM cannot auto reboot after cashdump with more then 1 VCPU
From: Sönke Schwardt <schwardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 15:50:49 +0100
Cc: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:55:47 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

Am Mittwoch, 11. Februar 2009 12:09:56 schrieb Tim Deegan:
> At 06:04 -0500 on 11 Feb (1234332247), Wayne Gong wrote:
> > Hi folks
> >
> > I meet a problem when implement crash dump feature of winpv drives for
> > xen. If a windows HVM (without winpv driver) use more then 1 VCPU, it
> > cannot reboot automatically even I set on_crash = 'restart' and
> > on_reboot = 'restart' in vm.cfg file.  If I set VCPU to 1, it works
> > fine. Any suggestion?
>
> ISTR Xen 3.1 didn't handle inter-vcpu NMIs properly, so multi-vcpu
> windows guests would fail to shut down in some cases (where Windows was
> using NMIs to halt its APs for restart); instead the guest would hang.

Is there any workaround on guest or host side?
We can reproduce a hanging win2k3 guest on normal windows reboot if 4 vcpus
are used. The guest is switched off correctly after windows shutdown and
reboots without problem if only 2 vcpus are assigned to this guest.

Thanks

 Sönke

--
**Besuchen Sie uns vom 03.03.-08.03.2009 auf der CeBIT in Hannover**
                        *Halle 6 Stand G41*

Sönke Schwardt
Open Source Software Engineer

Univention GmbH