[Xen-devel] Re: pv_ops dom0 USB fixed

To: "Jeremy Fitzhardinge" <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: pv_ops dom0 USB fixed
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:48:37 -0500
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Aviv Grafi <aviv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:49:17 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=kqTI4LDA/x/zHLGh+6vrEoJ/RfhjE9tbEjx4rD7KOkg=; b=ZKUHvIzB73NuWVJDhB7vzQA/dDjswL7DXWLEmGKsUnGRkP+l/mxkfFVeteIr9QmO5N 4FGP6MpiuwhtOC3vZtsF7IVsFHwe9HZOSlNBuufacmqTHBmHc3APFSni/2hIAJ9H0kyO GGRW9bL6z8Rd3zIdbwI8NZ1IxpwLWSw3eSGqo=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ian Campbell noticed a missing TLB flush which was causing the USB
> crashes/failures when booting the pvops dom0 kernel.  With that fixed,
> enabling USB boots reliably and seems to work.
>
> Its quite possible this will also improve matters with ATA/SATA controllers,
> though I haven't tested it so far.
>
> Anyway, its a significant fix and its worth trying the current pvops patch
> queue again.  Please tell me what you find.

Looks like some progress has been made.

Two logs attached.

The first, with both CPUs enabled give a pretty hard crash.
(Maybe some indication of an SMP problem)

The second, with nosmp on the dom0 kernel command line
sitll doesn't fully boot, but look like it picks up the device, just
that it is picking it up late maybe.

Notice toward the end of boot that it goes to a busybox
shell:

"ALERT! /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu6) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)"

Then ATA stuff that keeps trying...

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,