Re: [Xen-devel] PV Grub Questions

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PV Grub Questions
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:59:15 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 01:01:38 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 26/8/08 20:57, "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> root (hd0,1)
>> setup (hd0)
>> boot (or quit)
>>
>> In this case however setup and quit are unknown commands.
>> Is that expected?
>
> Aren't setup and quit only available when running grub as a utility rather
> than in bootloader mode?

quit is utility only.  install/setup works in grub too, and in fact it
was the only way to install grub to disk in the very early grub days:
First "cat stage1 stage2 > /dev/fd0", then boot from the floppy, then
install grub on the hard disk.

For pvgrub install/setup that doesn't make sense at all because it isn't
BIOS-loaded from the guest hard disk in the first place.  You have to
pass in the path to the config file via
extra="(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst" to make it display a menu though.

cheers,
  Gerd