Re: [Xen-devel] Almost working iSCSI booting, need advice

To: jpranevich@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Almost working iSCSI booting, need advice
From: Stefan de Konink <skinkie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 04:47:36 +0200
Cc: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 19:48:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jpranevich@xxxxxxxxxxx schreef:
----- "Stefan de Konink" <skinkie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I guess here is where the problem is... I never used pygrub before
it.

So if you are hacking in PyGrub you might be in the right place ;)

Can you tell me what bootloader you are using and whether you have
any patches on top of stock Xen, particularly in XendDomainInfo.py or
XendBootloader.py?

I hope you don't cry now, but I'm not using any bootloader :) I really can't see the use for it. Actually I have *two* kernels now, but the only thing my users see is an linux-2.6 as kernel in their config.

(As an aside, Xen really does seem intent on thinking that you need a
real block device to boot from in a few other areas. I was playing
around and was able to get RedHat AS 5.2's newly-added root-on-iSCSI
support working under Xen without any code modifications using the
SuSE domUloader and RedHat's initrd and kernel, but I still had to
specify a block device, even though it's ignored by the initrd which
has its own mini-open-iscsi built in and mounts root from that. The
RedHat support has too many limitations to be practical for Xen just
yet, but it's an interesting different approach. Still, having Xen
manage the iSCSI connections appears to be the best way.)

Oh they are doing:

kernel initrd-hey-here-are-the-iscsi-tools-lets-switch-rootfs

Instead the nfsway:

kernel-lets-find-a-nice-iscsi-machine

Not only the best way, the only way you can *safely* hide your storage from the domU's.

Stefan