[Xen-devel] RE: Xen performance and Dbench

To: "Anthony Liguori" <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "deshantm@xxxxxxxxx" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: Xen performance and Dbench
From: "Dan Magenheimer" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:23:25 -0600
Cc: "Xen-Devel \(E-mail\)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:26:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks, Anthony, very illuminating.  However one would
expect that the 1-cpu measurement would be about one-half
of the 2-cpu measurement, not closer to one-fourth (27%),
true?  So even if the methodology is bad, the results
may still be indicating something wrong that should
be looked at?

Todd, the references you provide are several years and
several versions of Xen old.  Have you seen any Xen
dbench results on a more recent Xen version?  While
I agree that dbench might not be the best benchmark
in the world, if some customers use and believe it
(or, worse, believe the OLS paper), it would be nice
to be able to set the record straight.