Re: [Xen-devel] VCPU cores & sockets

To: Ben Guthro <bguthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VCPU cores & sockets
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:02:56 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:02:25 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 17/6/08 16:56, "Ben Guthro" <bguthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I argue against further redundant domain config options.
>>
>>  -- Keir
>>
> While I would normally agree with this statement...
> knowing that you must set CPUID.4:EAX[31:26] to cores + 1 (but only if
> CPUID.1:EDX[28]==1) is not exactly user friendly...

I might consider having 'xm create' or the domain-config-cooking bit of xend
grind a new cores_per_socket config option into the canonical cpuid option.
I don't think it should be part of the persistent vm configuration state
that xend keeps in xenstore and saves/restores. And this could be done
equally well in higher-level tools.

 -- Keir