Re: [Xen-devel] long latency of domain shutdown

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] long latency of domain shutdown
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 11:52:54 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 May 2008 03:53:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/5/08 11:39, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No, here I mean having just RELMEM_xen and RELMEM_l{1,2,3,4}.
> Then simply release Xen pages first, then l4...l1.
>
> For the suggested workaround to reduce latency of relinquish_memory()
> preemption, I simply mean utilizing the code to deal with circular
> references also for releasing simple ones (that code path doesn't seem
> to care to force the type count to zero, but as I understand that's no
> problem since these pages end up being freed anyway, and that's
> where the whole type_info field gets re-initialized - or was this
> happening when the page gets allocated the next time).

You've lost me. Either you are confused or I have forgotten the details of
how that shutdown code works. Either is quite possible I suspect. :-)
Basically I don't see how this avoids the recursive, and potentially rather
expensive, teardown. Nor am I convinced about how much potential time-saving
there is to be had here.

 -- Keir