RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch 4/4]: Xend interface for HVM S3

To: "Stefan de Konink" <skinkie@xxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch 4/4]: Xend interface for HVM S3
From: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 11:49:03 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ke, Liping" <liping.ke@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 May 2008 03:50:22 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is there currently a practical use why virtual S3 is prefered over the
> save command? Is it more gracefully?

They have quite different purposes.

One use for guest S3 is in integrating it into a save/restore so that
the guest isn't so surprised when it wakes up and finds that time has
suddenly warped forward. In practice, Linux/Windows seem to cope just
fine without passing through S3. Doing so might be cleaner, but at the
risk of tickling guest operating system S3 bugs

Guest S3 is also useful in the context of PCI device passthrough, where
its necessary to get the device into a safe state.

> (or is the actual usage the other way around, when a user initiates
the
> S3)

The guest must initiate S3, but you can typically prod it into doing so
via the 'lid switch'.

Ian