[Xen-devel] Re: CPU scheduling of domains and vcpus

To: Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nauman Rafique <naumanr@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: CPU scheduling of domains and vcpus
From: "Mike D. Day" <ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:32:18 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:34:10 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 21/04/08 18:56 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Nauman Rafique, le Mon 21 Apr 2008 13:52:21 -0400, a écrit :
> > In fact, wasted cycles can probably be avoided by doing opportunisitic
> > gang scheduling (i.e. gang schedule, unless there would be wasted
> > cycles)
>
> How do you detect that there would be wasted cycles?

The only way is for a very self-aware guest to use a paravirtual
feature to give a hint to the scheduler.

Which is also the way to solve the original problem: the
paravirtualized guest can provide a hint to the scheduler that it is
holding a contended lock.

Alternatively, the scheduler can notify the guest that it is about to
be preempted by the hypervisor and now would be a good time to sleep
before gaining a contended spinlock.

In either case lock contention within a multi-vcpu guest is probably
not as bad a problem as the various solutions cause.

If a workload is suffering so much, give it multiple vcpus that are
mapped 1:1 to physical cpus.

Mike

--
Mike D. Day