[Xen-devel] CPU scheduling of domains and vcpus

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] CPU scheduling of domains and vcpus
From: "Nauman Rafique" <naumanr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:52:21 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:52:45 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My question is related to an earlier discussion on the list (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-03/msg01395.html).
Is there any plan for implementing gang scheduling (of all vcpus of a domain) in xen? I see that gang scheduling is mentioned in almost all the latest talks about xen (posted on xen.org).
It seems to me that gang scheduling would be desirable, specially if there are synchronization points (lock and semaphores) in guest OS and applications. I understand that gang scheduling can lead to wasted cycles, but that might be acceptable in certain situations. In fact, wasted cycles can probably be avoided by doing opportunisitic gang scheduling (i.e. gang schedule, unless there would be wasted cycles) and by carefully choosing the number of vcpus.

--
Nauman Rafique
Purdue University