Re: Re[Xen-devel] lease 0.8.4 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re[Xen-devel] lease 0.8.4 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:38:12 +0000
Cc: jamesshirley <james.shirley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:38:45 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > I have two drives QEMU & XEN PV VBD, appearing even though I only have
> > disk
> > = ['phy:/dev/VolGroup00/tcsxis03-c,hda,w'] in my xen config file. The
>
> two
>
> > drives look like their mapping to the same logical drive i've
>
> configured
>
> > in
> > RH XEN.
>
> You will almost certainly get some fatal corruption before too long if
> this is happening. It shouldn't happen obviously...

Side note: on an important VM, if you find yourself in this situation (two
drives pointing at the same underlying data) and don't want to lose data,
it's best to stop it as soon as possible.  Probably an xm destroy is better
than a clean shutdown in this case!

(side note: unless you really have a clear idea of what you're doing and why
it's safe or it's just a testing VM you can afford to hose)

Sorry to butt in on this, I just have a thing about pepperring the ML archives
with warnings about this, having once (years ago) hosed a Xen machine 3 times
in an afternoon doing stuff like this :-)

Cheers,
Mark