Re: [Xen-devel] XenLoop - Inter-VM Network Loopback

To: "Daniel Stodden" <stodden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] XenLoop - Inter-VM Network Loopback
From: "Kartik Gopalan" <kartik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:51:18 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:51:39 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=Q17tKwGCuxCm1xiW8UkpsSk9XeGQhRGAHiuZGSBgevI=; b=hyncRu/8n+e7MdCfCg9E9BL08Ue3/ypZQc5UyZlrtcR00TMmfeYkVtLz6EfNg3c1BR3e8Xr/Lq7RzsxYe3iCrO8vN+Laws0N/HxzLCTNW7yc1UC9kKuwedCeV/VjJWWa4A22MXRA2Px+NupU8oR04nM3/ZvKSoaHIQpt187xSng=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The analogy, though not perfect, is that a loopback carries traffic
between different network endpoints within the same (virtual)
machine -- the endpoints may be in different processes, not just
the originator. XenLoop carries traffic between different network
endpoints resident in the same "physical" machine but in
different VMs. Your virtual crossover cable analogy is just how
it happens to be currently implemented. One could implement
XenLoop using other non-crossover-type designs, resulting in
more VM crosstalk or less security, but functionally what it does
would remain unchanged, which is to bypass the network
datapath through Dom0.

- Kartik