[Xen-devel] Re: Large system boot problems

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Large system boot problems
From: Bill Burns <bburns@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:10:26 -0500
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Carb, Brian A" <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 07:12:23 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 8/2/08 13:49, "Bill Burns" <bburns@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Looking for ideas or suggestions on how to solve this issue.
>> Ideally we'd be able to prevent the bogus calculation in the
>> first place.
>
> Could the bad value coming from calibration in init_pit_and_calibrate_tsc(),
> or perhaps it is somehow caused perhaps by not-frequent-enough softirq
> handling on CPU0 as it brings up all the secondary CPUs (and hence it is not
> going through local_time_calibration() during that period)?

The message from early_time_init (caller of
iinit_pit_and_calibrate_tsc, indicates that the
initial detection is ok:

(pmtimer case)  (XEN) Detected 3400.114 MHz processor.
((pit case)     (XEN) Detected 3400.165 MHz processor.

So I think it's the latter. The init of a large system
is staving off the soft irq so that the next calc fails.

 Bill