[Xen-devel] Re: "hwcap 0 nosegneg" doesnt work with paravirt_ops xen as

To: Roland McGrath <roland@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: "hwcap 0 nosegneg" doesnt work with paravirt_ops xen as of 2.6.23.9
From: Andres Freund <andres@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:03:03 +0100
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 08:28:25 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Roland McGrath wrote in "Re: "hwcap 0 nosegneg"
doesnt work with paravirt_ops xen as of 2.6.23.9":
> > > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/xen.conf:
> > > hwcap 0 nosegneg
> >
> > This looks OK. [...]
>
> No, it does not match this:
>       /* Bit used for the pseudo-hwcap for non-negative segments.  We use
>          bit 1 to avoid bugs in some versions of glibc when bit 0 is
>          used; the choice is otherwise arbitrary. */
>       #define VDSO_NOTE_NONEGSEG_BIT  1
> You really want "hwcap 1 nosegneg" given that.
> Yes, we've been over this several times already.
Thanks for the information. I guess it would be nice to document this
somewhere (except in code)... At least I could not find any information about
it beside some patch (Not directed at you, Roland). Any idea where?

Besides, it has one Problem: It is not backwards compatible. Using it on
earlier Xen Versions yields the normal tls versions (xen 3.1). Isnt the
userbase of existing xen installations bigger than the one of some point in
FC5 test releases?
Ugh. Leaning a bit far out of the door with that one considering my knowledge
about it... Sorry about that.

Greetings,

Andres