RE: [Xen-devel] Third release of GPL'd PV drivers for Windows

To: "Samuel Thibault" <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Third release of GPL'd PV drivers for Windows
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:59:08 +1100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 03:00:04 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> James Harper, le Fri 09 Nov 2007 21:37:23 +1100, a écrit :
> > Windows appears to mostly give buffers aligned to a multiple of
> > 512 bytes (sector size) which may allow me to just grant Dom0 access to
> > the page... although what happens to the other bytes in the page?
>
> They are untouched, so you can make the optimization, unless you are
> paranoid enough about information leakage and don't trust dom0.

I was more thinking along the lines of what happens when I need to grant the
same page more than once... eg windows request 1 (read) comes along and wants
to read a sector into offset 1024 in PFN 12345, and while that request is in
progress, windows request 2 (write) comes along and wants to write a sector
from offset 1536 in PFN 12345 (eg same PFN). Is anything going to break if I
grant the same page twice (two separate grant table references but the same
PFN)? What about if I grant it once as read only and then as read/write (or in
the other order)?

I'm hopeful that all of those problems have been considered and solved
previously and that it will 'just work'...

Thanks

James