Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Fix name uniqueness check

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Fix name uniqueness check
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 19:18:11 +0100
Cc: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Masaki Kanno <kanno.masaki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:19:06 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 02:57:18PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > Yep, I just tested 3.1.1 with 15124 reverted, and 15642 applied and it
> > > copes
> > > with the use cases I have. So I'd reckon on making those two changes to
> > > the
> > > 3.1-testing tree would be sufficient.
> >
> > Is this still wanted? Masaki Kanno's response seems to indicate there are
> > still issues.
>
> I need to try and reproduce Masaki's results & figure out what's missing.
> We definitely need some form of patch, because as it stands two important
> use cases are broken for xen-3.1-testing - provisioning of new VMs wit the
> virt-install tool being one of them. I'd rather reduce the strictness of
> name uniqueness checks to be too leniant than be too strict and break things

There are 6 basic test cases:

   a. same name + same UUID:
   b. diff name + same UUID:
   c. same name + diff UUID:
   d. diff name + diff UUID:
   e. same name + no UUID:
   f. diff name + no UUID:

These need to be tested with 'xm create' and 'xm new', and all tests need to
be done with the pre-existing VM both inactive, and active.

As it stands now, 3.1-testing  incorrectly rejects several of the test
cases. It also incorrectly allows several others.

Adding in http://xenbits2.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg?rev/207582c8d88b
from xen-unstable causes it to incorrectly allow sevaral more, and does
not fix the false rejects.

Reverting 15124:f5459c358575  removes the false rejects, but doesn't
deal with the false allows.

So no combination of patches from either 3.1-testing, or -unstable is
showing completely correct behaviour & both trees need further fixes.
Hopefully have something more later today...

Dan.