RE: [Xen-devel] [VTD][patch 0/5] HVM device assignment using vt-d

To: "Guy Zana" <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [VTD][patch 0/5] HVM device assignment using vt-d
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 21:20:40 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 May 2007 06:18:55 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It does be a 'cunning' approach, which however seems to only apply
to interrupt instance with both rising edge and falling edge like:

    _____________      ______________
___|      1        |____|       2        |____________

Just be curious whether following cases can be addressed, when
one edge is missing.

[Case one]
        Is it possible for one device to keep line 'high' for two successive
instances, like:
___|      1        |       2                      ...

    When driver requests device to clear interrupt assertion at end
of handling 1st, it's possible that device keeps assertion if interrupt
condition still matches in 2nd. In that case, no interrupt will happen
any more when EOI is written to IOAPIC due to polarity inversion.

[Case two]
        Similar to case one, two PCI devices share one interrupt pin:
PCI-A
    _______
___|     1  |_______________________
PCI-B
                _____________________________
______________|      2
PIN
    _______    _____________________________
___|        |___|    ^EOI

If:
        - Guest finishes invocation to all irq actions hooked to that pin
before PCI-B does assertion.
        - EOI to IOAPIC happens after PCI-B does assertion

The net effect is that line status keeps 'high' after EOI and polarity
inverse makes no interrupt again.

Maybe I didn't get the exact detail of your named 'change polarity'
idea, and if yes, appreciate your elaboration here. :-)

Thanks,
Kevin