Re: [Xen-devel] can't boot 32-bit SLES10 HVMs since c/s 14436 was introd

To: "Krysan, Susan" <KRYSANS@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] can't boot 32-bit SLES10 HVMs since c/s 14436 was introduced
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 21:47:00 +0100
Cc: dexuan.cui@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 May 2007 13:43:56 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 1/5/07 18:49, "Krysan, Susan" <KRYSANS@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I cannot boot 32-bit SLES10 HVMs, SMP nor PAE, on x86_64 SLES10 xen on Unisys ES7000/one with Intel processors.  I initially tried with HVM memory sizes of 2gb and 16gb, but when I give the HVMs only 512mb, they still do not boot.  I have run both with the ES7000 configured as 8x 32gb and 16x 64gb.  The HVMs either hang in the graphical blue SUSE Linux screen or get this kernel panic: Badness in smp_call_function at arch/i386/kernel/smp.c:595.

At Keir’s suggestion, I used a binary search method to narrow down changesets, and after building and testing multiple changesets I was able to determine that c/s 14436 introduces the problem.

This is the changeset that reduced the virtual HPET frequency to 1/32 that of the virtual TSC. This was itself a bug fix (guests tend to assume that HPET frequency is somewhat less than TSC frequency). I can’t immediately see how this changeset would cause issues like ‘badness in smp_call_function’. Any ideas, Dexuan?

 -- Keir