RE: [Xen-devel] A different probklem with save/restore on C/S 14823.

To: "Tim Deegan" <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] A different probklem with save/restore on C/S 14823.
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:47:20 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:46:21 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After some more testing, I would agree that it's probably the same
problem - I found that I could reproduce the same problem if I use a
sles93 guest rather than the simple guest - not sure why it's different
(perhaps because the sles guest uses MMIO and my simple guest never uses
MMIO?)

It would perhaps be nice to understand why one type of guest only
crashes the guest (kind of not so bad) and the other crashes the
hypervisor (quite bad) and make BOTH crash the guest only? [Not that it
REALLY fixes a problem, but leaving the hypervisor running if the guest
is broken is a good thing, I think. [perhaps not a priority for 3.0.5,
but I think it should be fixed - I'll have a look to see if I can
understand what's going on and I can cobble together something that
catches both cases].

I'm always a bit wary of using (wholesale) changesets from the staging
tree, under the assumption that if they don't pass the basic testing,
it's quite possible that it won't work for me either. Obviously, if I
understand a particular change, and I think it won't need a whole bunch
of others, I may pick a single (or small subset) of staging for test
purposes. But 14823 is the latest available on unstable. [You must be
mind-reading, as you just apologized for not realizing it's not out of
staging yet].

--
Mats