Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 21/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: Use the hvc console

To: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 21/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: Use the hvc console infrastructure for Xen console
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:28:41 +0000
Cc: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 02:27:55 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 16/3/07 08:54, "Ingo Molnar" <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> + prod = intf->in_prod;
>> + mb();
>> + BUG_ON((prod - cons) > sizeof(intf->in));
>
> such mb()'s are typically a sign of "i have no clear idea what SMP
> serialization rules apply here, but something is needed because
> otherwise it breaks" ?

These mb()'s are pretty standard for lock-free producer/consumer rings.
Write descriptor /then/ write the updated producer. Read the producer /then/
read any descriptors revealed by this new producer value.

All our ring protocols (and we have a few) require memory barriers. Those
that use our standard set of ring macros have the memory barriers hidden
from view, but they're still there.

 -- Keir