[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 05/21] Xen-paravirt: paravirt_ops: allocate a fix

To: Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 05/21] Xen-paravirt: paravirt_ops: allocate a fixmap slot
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:43:49 +0100
Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:43:42 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dan Hecht wrote:
> Right.  But that is only because Xen decides to allocate the page from
> the (machine) physical space, rather than from the pseudo-physical
> space.  My question is: why doesn't Xen allocate shared_info from the
> pseudo-physical space?

Historical reasons ...

> If it had, then this page wouldn't need to be
> treated specially.  I'm not sure, but I seem to remember on 64-bit
> Xen/XenLinux allocated shared_info from pseudo-physical space already...

Yep, the ia64 port which came later handles some things differently,
specifically some "magic" pages are allocated more clever ;)

Changing that for x86 would break existing guests though.

cheers,
  Gerd

--
Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>