[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 05/21] Xen-paravirt: paravirt_ops: allocate a fix

To: Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 05/21] Xen-paravirt: paravirt_ops: allocate a fixmap slot
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:36:23 -0800
Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:35:43 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dan Hecht wrote:
> Why doesn't Xen allocate the shared_info page from the pseudo-physical
> space?  Doesn't it already have to steal pages from the
> pseudo-physical space for e.g. initial page tables, console, etc?  Why
> not do the same for shared_info, and then you don't need a reserve the
> fixmap slot.

Unlike the pagetable pages or the console page, the shared info page
doesn't have a pseudo-physical address, so in order to map it we need to
directly construct a pte containing the mfn for that page.  Inserting
this mapping into the fixmap space seems like the easiest way to do
this.  It's not like a fixmap slot costs anything.