Re: [Xen-devel] Trivial patch to fix logging level output by XendCheckpo

To: "Graham, Simon" <Simon.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Trivial patch to fix logging level output by XendCheckpoint.py
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:20:06 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 01:20:39 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 08:23:24PM -0500, Graham, Simon wrote:

> Well, I didn't expect this much discussion!!! I must admit I found it
> hard to grok this code initially but I think the idea of exec'ing a
> separate program is a good one to avoid the chance that xend can die
> (especially since you don't currently seem to be able to restart xend
> without rebooting Dom0).

That's not true -- Xend ought to be restarting itself (it forks itself so that
it has a monitor process) and even then "xend restart" ought to work.  Are you
having trouble with that?

The one process that we can't restart at the moment is xenstored.  Everything
else should be fine.

> Anyway - even if XendCheckpoint.py called xc_linux_save/restore
> directly, you'd still have to deal with getting the output to the right
> place since these APIs write their debug output directly to stderr so
> I've got to believe you'd still fork a child that made the call and have
> the parent slurp the contents of stderr and log them so the same issue
> would exist...

Yes, I think Daniel was proposing fixing all of that, too.

Ewan.