[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable] [PV-ON-HVM] Don't generat

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable] [PV-ON-HVM] Don't generate lots ofspurious interrupts when using event
From: Steven Smith <sos22-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:37:54 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steven Smith <sos22@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:48:06 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>       This does solve the problem, however it adds unnecessary overhead
> (one more trap into xen at the end of each event handler). IMO, the real
> cause should be in pic_intack, where pending irr is converted into isr.
I'm inclined to agree here.  The patch I checked in certainly wasn't
very pretty, and this is the best alternative I've heard so far.
However, it looks like it's actually slower than what we've got at the
moment: NPtcp between dom0 and domU on my test box reports a latency
and maximum bandwidth of 36.42us and 1961.58Mbps without this patch, or
45.94us and 1874.69Mbps with.  All measurements are best-of-three.

Looking at the patch, it ought to have been slightly faster, so these
results rather surprised me.  Did you do any benchmarks yourself?

Steven.