RE: [Xen-devel] edge-triggered interrupts in non-ACPI SMP HVM

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] edge-triggered interrupts in non-ACPI SMP HVM
From: "He, Qing" <qing.he@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:17:10 +0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 01:17:34 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir,
It's not guest complaining, it's hypervisor who complains.
There are such lines in vioapic.c:
        DPRINTK("Forcing edge triggered APIC irq %d?\n", irq);
        domain_crash(d);

The guest crashed here when insmod platform-pci driver. So that means guest
considers the irq as edge triggered. (in fact, if hypervisor does not
intentionally crash, the guest is likely to work happily).

Later I checked Linux source, when ACPI is disabled, Linux read MP table to
decide irq to I/O APIC binding. This is where it sets the trigger mode of irqs.
See arch/i386/kernel/mpparse.c and arch/i386/kernel/io_apic.c

Mp talbe is constructed in hvmloader/mp_table.c, which has only ISA bus...

Thanks,
Qing