Re: [Xen-devel] Xen PXE solution

To: Gregory Haskins <ghaskins@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen PXE solution
From: "Andrew D. Ball" <aball@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:23:34 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:20:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Good morning.

Here's how far I got before I was swamped by other work:

-- generated a ROM image for the pcnet32 driver from etherboot. (was
before the realtek device)
-- loaded the image in different parts of memory that is scanned by the
ROMBIOS for expansion ROMS
-- Noticed what was probably memory corruption errors preventing the PXE
ROM from loading and running

This dropped down to the bottom of my priorities, as it's possible to
get the same functionality with etherboot as a virtual ISO image instead
of an expansion ROM.  This would still be useful as an expansion ROM
though, IMHO.

The most important work to be done that I can think of before this can
work is to clearly document which parts of memory are occupied by
what firmware for HVM domU's and proceed with troubleshooting the
memory corruption.

If you'd like, we can set up a wiki page to work on this.

Hope this helps.
Andrew