Re: [Xen-devel] reasons/requirements for some of patches/linux-2.6.16.29

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] reasons/requirements for some of patches/linux-2.6.16.29/*
From: Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:34:55 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 08:35:30 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 10/06/2006 04:17:12 AM:

> >> IBM-requested backport of TPM changes in 2.6.17. This will go away when we
> >> upgrade to 2.6.18.
> >
> > Likewise here.
>
> I don't know if Xen-specific drivers in the sparse tree depend on that
> patch. Stefan Berger will know better than me (cc'ed).

Plain 2.6.16 gives the following function in tpm.c:

int              tpm_register_hardware(struct device *dev, struct tpm_vendor_specific *entry)

2.6.17 offers the following signature:

struct tpm_chip *tpm_register_hardware(struct device *dev, const struct tpm_vendor_specific *entry)

I adopted this from 2.6.17 since I needed to have access to the tpm_chip structure where I could store other driver-specific information in. Of course all plugin drivers use this function and therefore the tpm_plugin_2.6.17.patch exists.

  Stefan