RE: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm cpu utilization

To: "McAfee, Tommie M" <Tommie.McAfee@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm cpu utilization
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:51:19 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:52:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> It appears that qemu is adding too much overhead to
> virtual machines to display graphics.
> If I boot a sles9sp3 domVT in runlevel 5 with vga=0x314 for a
> graphicalboot, and immediately use
> vncviewer simply to watch the virtual machine as it boots,
> qemu-dm consumes 40% cpu as soon as vncviewer is launched and remains
that
> way throughout this entire process  without settling down when the
login
> screen appears.
> Even If I close the console that's viewing the virtual host,  qemu-dm
> remains at 40-44%.

That's considerably more than my experience. With a vncviewer connected
it's normal to see qemu-dm burning 5-10% CPU.

We do the majority of our HVM testing using windows as obviously the
best way of running linux is fully 'enlightened' (para-virtualized). It
would be good to test to see whether the issue that you're seeing is
sles9 specific.

Thanks,
Ian