[Xen-devel] Does hardware VMX kill hardware passthrough to non-VMX domai

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Does hardware VMX kill hardware passthrough to non-VMX domains?
From: "George Styles" <ripnetuk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:53:30 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 06:53:56 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Sorry to post to dev list, but was not answered in user list - tell
me if this annoys, and I wont do it again)...

I have Xen3 (testing from last week), running 3 'normal' Xen domains
(FC4 / FC4 / FC5) with xen-ified kernels (ie, non VMX).

One of these runs MythTV and so has hardware passthrough setup for my
2 dvb cards. This works fine in itself.

However, when I start a Windows XP virtual machine (using the VMX
feature), the DVB cards seem to stop working in the non-vmx domain.

I have not done enough tests to be 100% sure this is the case (its
happened 3 times, each time just after I start the Windows domain,
although not immediately after, within hours). At the moment, all I
have estabished is that the DVB cards stop giving me data

Before I spend a lot of time investigating this, is there any issue
with using hardware passthrough on a non-VMX domain AND runnign a
seperate VMX domain at the same time?

Should I be playing with NOACPI etc? should I have the passthrough set
to permissive or non permissive (wtf?)

thanks