Re: [Xen-devel] XenStore permissions from kernel space

To: James Pendergrass <james.pendergrass@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] XenStore permissions from kernel space
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:51:52 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 06:52:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 15 Jun 2006, at 14:37, James Pendergrass wrote:

I've been working on a kernel module that shares some pages between to domUs. In the course of doing this I had the need to communicate information via XenStore (e.g., the grant references), but for a number of reasons did not want to use the full XenBus registration/probe/hotplug...system (it is too dynamic, and requires a kick off event from dom0 rather than allowing self organizing shares between domUs).

I established that the only thing preventing my setup of domA writing to a node in XenStore and domB reading it was the lack of the xs_get/set_permissions function in the kernel level xenbus/xenstore interface. So I ported those
functions down from the userland xenstore libraries.

I expect that others may appreciate the ability to set XenStore perms from kernel space, so here's a patch.

In your scheme, how do you discover the domid(s) of the domains you need to communicate with? Is that done with some simple start-of-day config info written into xenstore by domain0?

 -- Keir