Re: [Xen-devel] LV mount

To: "Joseph A. Perrin" <jap@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] LV mount
From: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:22:05 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:22:34 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 13:53 -0400, Joseph A. Perrin wrote:

> Is is possible to mount a LV "file", (i.e. /xenimages/g1.root), much like one
> would mount a file system using the loop option?  (and *No*, I don't want to
> try to do this while my vMachine is running!)

Yes, it is; there is a little-known tool called "kpartx" which lets you
do it.  I wrote this up for the FC5 xen wiki page: see topic "Accessing
data on a guest disk image" at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC5

It's *very* useful for accessing partitions and LVM PVs/LVs from inside
Xen guest images.

--Stephen