RE: [Xen-devel] VTx enabled + xen 3.0 stable IO performance...

To: "Rami Rosen" <rosenrami@xxxxxxxxx>, "M S, Rajanish" <MS.Rajanish@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] VTx enabled + xen 3.0 stable IO performance...
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:57:50 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:58:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, absolutely. And I think, in terms of virtualization, 75% of the
native performance is "close" in this case.

> It seems to me that using QEMU in HVM
> may cause slower performance than on non-VT
> processors. (In non-VT processors Xen  does not use QEMU but uses
> backend-frontend virtual device drivers, which seems more efficient).
>
> Can anybody give I/O performance results on AMD
> SVM processors (these processors have virtualization extensions).?

I can't publish (post) any benchmark results at the moment, but I would
definitely think that the behaviour would be almost identical to the
Intel results posted in the above link. We have a slightly better memory
controller than Intel does, which would help with the MANY memory
accesses that happen as a result of the intercept and task-switching
that goes on as part of the processing of IO operations. The overall
control-flow is near enough identical, so it's only differences like the
memory controller or perhaps how the memory management unit (MMU) in the
processor behaves that may make a little difference - and I empasize on
A LITTLE difference.

The reason is that ALL hardware (for HVM) is emulated in QEMU (except
for timer and APIC accesses, which are emulated in the hypervisor
itself).

So any IO to disk or network would go through the Hypervisor to QEMU,
generally in MANY steps. For example, a hard-disk read/write operation
takes at least 6 IO intercepts. Each one of those is several hundred
clock-cycles. Then there is the overhead of going through Dom0 for the
ACTUAL file-access to the disk, which of course adds a little more
overhead on top of the intercepting.

I did a QUICK test, using "hdparm -t /dev/hda" on real hardware and in
SuSE 10.1 running on HVM. There are at least one order of magnitude
difference in performace. This is NOT an official benchmark, but just a
quick test!

Writing a pseudo-device driver for the disk-driver (or network) would be
the best way around this problem, then performance would be similar to
the para-virtual solution. But it would of course require that the user
loads this device driver... Which has a heap of interesting logistical
problems - will Microsoft supply this driver for the Windows version.
Could we get a WHQL certificate for it? Etc, etc.

--
Mats