Re: [Xen-devel] question on XML-RPC interface to xend

To: Jayesh Salvi <jayeshsalvi@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] question on XML-RPC interface to xend
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 17:56:31 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 28 May 2006 09:56:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 02:31:29PM +0000, Jayesh Salvi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that an XMLRPC interface has been introduced from 3.0.2+. This
> is breaking the remote execution of xm commands I used to do.
>
> This change entirely changed the tools/python/xen/xend/XendClient.py. I
> used to remotely control the pool of servers by doing:
> XEND=<remote server name> xm <operation>
>
> For this I had to change last line of XendClient.py from getUnixServer()
> to getHttpServer() . This tweak changed the way "xm" connects to xend
> process - instead of Unix domain sockets it uses Http connections.
>
> This setup used to work fine. I however do not understand the XML-RPC
> behavior from "xm"'s point of view. The XendClient.py now just opens a
> ServerProxy for a xmlrpc socket, which take httpu URI. I don't know how I
> can direct xm operations to the remote physical servers now.
>
> Is remote access using xm discontinued because of this change? Or is there
> some method?

It's certainly the intention that xm can work remotely, though it does
seem to be broken at the moment.

The attached patch is enough for me to be able to use xm remotely.  This
might be enough for you for now.  Bear in mind that by enabling the TCP
server, you are opening a very large security hole -- you should only
use this on a secure network.

There is work already planned to fix this whole area, so if you can wait
a few weeks, all this should be in a good state for you again.

Cheers,

Ewan.