RE: [Xen-devel] [RESEND] Question about recursive mappings

To: "Mathieu Ropert" <mro@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [RESEND] Question about recursive mappings
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:41:08 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 May 2006 02:41:38 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Done some investingations in the mm code of Xen, i think the
> problem is that linear page tables entries are checked only
> on level 4 entries.
> In my case, my recursive entry is in a L3 table, already
> validated as another type, hence not "valid" for Xen.

Can you explain the pagtable structure a little better please. Does the
L3 contain an entry point at itself (recursive), or at another L3
(foreign)?

I've never come across non-root pagetable linear mappings other than in
the crock that is PAE (3 level) where you have to use 4 entries in an L2
to point to all the L2s due to the limited address space.

What OS are you porting? Was it written for 3-level pagetables, with the
x86 4th level being added on as an afterthought, perhaps with only a
single L4 for the system and just one entry being used?

> Will authorizing L3 or L2 recursive mappings induce a
> security hole or vulnerability?
> If not, I'll try to make a patch to address this issue (any
> hint welcome :)).

I'm sure it can be done safely, but you'd best wrap a damp towel around
your head while thinking about how. I wouldn't want to slow down the
common case...

Ian