Re: [Xen-devel] [RESEND] Question about recursive mappings

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RESEND] Question about recursive mappings
From: Mathieu Ropert <mro@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:18:12 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 May 2006 02:14:48 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Done some investingations in the mm code of Xen, i think the problem is that linear page tables entries are checked only on level 4 entries. In my case, my recursive entry is in a L3 table, already validated as another type, hence not "valid" for Xen. Will authorizing L3 or L2 recursive mappings induce a security hole or vulnerability? If not, I'll try to make a patch to address this issue (any hint welcome :)).

Regards,
Mathieu

Mathieu Ropert wrote:

[Previous one didn't hit list after 3 days, trying a resend, sorry if both finally show up]

Hi,

are recursive mappings (ie: a page table entry pointing back to itself)
supported by Xen (on x86_64 at least)?
I'm asking cause i'm seeing many error logs from get_page_type() telling
something like "saw L3_page_table expected L2_page_table" or "saw
L4_page_table expected L3_page_table" (finally leading to a failing mmu_update, i guess others happens on user pagetables switches).
Or maybe is there any workaround needed? (I think i saw something like
setting entry to 0 first then to the recursive entry somewhere, but
can't remember where).
By the way, i'm using recursive mappings in kernel page directory (which
seems ok) and i temporay make user page directory recursive when i map
a user PGD in kernel space (mapping user PGD to a L4 entry of kernel tables, then using kernel L4 slot and user PGD recursive entry to access user page tables).

[edit]
Done some little research about the problem. Seems like NetBSD use the same thing and works, but there is no x86_64 ports for now. I'm starting to think that may be a x86_64 issue, maybe because recursive mappings don't lead to conflicting types with only 2 levels. Xen interface states that a page can only be of one type (PGD, PT, LDT, GDT and R/W). I don't know why there is a need to distinguish page table levels, but i'm afraid this restriction will conflit with some MMU implementation on x86_64 like NetBSD and OpenBSD, and maybe others (FreeBSD on top of my mind, don't know how much the pmap implementation diverged).
[/edit]

Regards,

Mathieu