Re: [Xen-devel] Re: X86_emulate to be moved into qemu...

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: X86_emulate to be moved into qemu...
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:14:52 +0100
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 May 2006 06:15:17 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 18 May 2006, at 13:58, Petersson, Mats wrote:

So, that would be a struct that could have the "struct ioreq" field in
it, which is optionally filled in depending on where it's called from,
for example?

Yes, I agree with this.

I'll work on something that uses this method, and I'll send you a patch
before I go any further.

My model would be that any *extra* stuff you want to just pass through to the callback functions, you'd do as follows (roughly):

/* This is a container for all emulation context. */
struct mydevice_emulator_context {
    /* The actual args structure for the emulator. */
    struct x86_emulate args;
/* Extra handy stuff for this particular call site and set of callback functions. */
    struct ioreq *ioreq;
};

/* This is a call to the emulator. */
x86_emulate_memop(&context.args);

/* This is an example of how a callback func gets at the caller-specific goodies. */
int emulate_read(..., struct x86_emulate_memop *args) {
    struct mydevice_emulator_context *context;
context = container_of(args, struct mydevice_emulator_context, args);
}