RE: [Xen-devel] Xm-test fails to pass sanity checks in hvm mode

To: "Li, Xin B" <xin.b.li@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Xm-test fails to pass sanity checks in hvm mode
From: Daniel Stekloff <dsteklof@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:29:18 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Lynn Bendixsen <lbendixs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:29:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 05:59 +0800, Li, Xin B wrote:

> >It won't boot an SMP kernel. I bet the default kernel you're building
> >with is SMP, right? HVM doesn't support SMP yet, I believe, although
> >Intel people are working on that. I haven't debugged any further but
> >I've confirmed that an SMP kernel on the disk.img won't boot.
>
> I'm not in the context, but still have some comments here :-).
> Basically we *can* boot a SMP kernel in a UP VMX domain. To boot up a
> SMP kernel, we need vcpus > 1, acpi = 1 and apic = 1 in the config file,
> or you are just running a UP VMX domain.
> Some old version Linux SMP kernel can *not* boot in a SMP VMX domain,
> but the root cause is PAE support code, which is mixed with SMP code in
> Linux kernel :-(, newer version Linux, like 2.6.12+, should work.
> Actually we have a fix to this PAE issue, but more tests needed.

Are you using the qemu-dm that's in the xen-unstable tree?

I can't get the SMP kernel to boot. I got a 2.6.16 SMP kernel, made sure
the options were set in the config, and I get the following error
repeatedly:

"Unknown interrupt or fault at EIP 00000060 c0100295 0000294"

Either way, if you'd like to do more testing using xm-test - then it
will need to be patched to have the correct config options.

Thanks,

Dan