Re: [Xen-devel] yanked share, round 2

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] yanked share, round 2
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:21:07 +0000
Cc: "King, Steven R" <steven.r.king@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:28:19 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi Keir, I'm not familiar enough with zombie anatomy to help there, so let
> me try this reasoning: today's Xen architecture cannot promise that a
> shared page can ever be returned to normal, non-shared service.  Thus, any
> DomU that routinely creates shared pages *must* eventually run out of
> memory.

Eveni if it could reboot, causing the control tools to allocate it new
memory... the more worrying problem is that a domain that does *not* return
shared pages could eventually end up holding all the memory in the machine,
with it all being credited to other (zombie) domains.

> Of course if all DomU's try to play nice, it would take a long
> while.  We still face a snag in which Xen allows DomU bugs, DomU crashes
> and DomU evil to accumulate over time.  By analogy to the hardware world, a
> PCI device that could not promise to let go of pages would be unacceptable.

A centralised store (managed by a trusted entity) would be rather good for
domUs that really don't trust each other.  It'd be worth having a driver that
could set these up - presumably with shares advertised using XenStore.

Cheers,
Mark

> -steve

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.