Re: [Xen-devel] n/w performance degradation

On 5 Dec 2005, at 23:11, Diwaker Gupta wrote:

N/W performance from dom0 seems fine (though I used to get 930+ until
a few days back):

[  6]  0.0-20.0 sec  1.95 GBytes    835 Mbits/sec

However, from a VM, the throughput is really bad:

[  5]  0.0-20.0 sec  1.05 GBytes    450 Mbits/sec

The above numbers are using the BVT scheduler. With the SEDF
scheduler, the numbers are even worse (a VM can't get more than
300Mbps in my tests). I can post concrete figures if people are
interested. I'm _not_ running pipelined netback.

We used to be able to saturate GigE with a single CPU, although admittedly burning quite a bit more CPU than using dom0 as the endpoint. I guess things have got out of tune, but there are a bunch of things we could do to encourage I/O batching ('x packets or y milliseconds' style receive batching, and transmitting batches of packets every x milliseconds or when the domU goes idle). This, together with scheduler tuning, should definitely get the performance back, although its a balancing act with one CPU to ensure no stage of the I/O processing pipeline gets starved.

 -- Keir