Re: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stopped wor

To: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stopped working
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 01:01:52 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:01:49 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:13:49PM -0800, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort
Collins) wrote:

>  > > > Switched back to cset 8122, ran make uninstall, make
> > install-tools,
> > place, booted
> > hotplug message.

> > > The physinfo call has been around forever.  I'd say that
> > your kernel and tools
> > > are disagreeing on the size of a structure or something like that.
>
> Could be.  I'll take a look to see if what data structures changed.
>
> > Actually, is physinfo even implemented on ia64?  (Does xm info work?)
>
> No apparently not.  It's never been needed before now.  It can probably
> be easily implemented.

That would be a good idea.  I can work around the problem, but bug tracking
will certainly be easier if the hardware details are reported correctly.

> Are you suspecting this is a related to my problem (e.g. the
> hotplug issue) or just needed for xen-bugtool and xm info?

Just the latter.

> > Regarding the hotplug failure, please send your
> > /var/log/{debug,messages,syslog} and I'll take a look.
>
> I don't have a /var/log/debug or /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages
> is unrevealing.  Do you mean xend.log and xend-debug.log?  If so,
> attached (along with my very simple xmdefconfig).

No, I really meant /var/log/messages -- the hotplug scripts log there, and you
usually see hotplug or udev events going through there too.

> By the way, I've never had to deal with any of the hotplug stuff
> on Xen/ia64... did some new requirement get added in the last few
> days (post-8006)?

No extra requirement, no.  We've been using hotplug scripts for ages.  There
have been changes to these scripts recently, so something might have broken,
but no extra requirements.

If you're not seeing any hotplug script logging at all you are going to have to
trace the hotplug event until you find out where it disappears.  Start with
cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug.  If that's udevsend and udevinfo -V reports
greater than 059 then you are using udev, so check that
/etc/udev/rules.d/xen-backend.rules is in place, otherwise you are using
hotplug, so put logging into /sbin/hotplug (usually a script)
and /etc/hotplug/xen-backend.agent.  Either way, you'll need logging in
/etc/xen/scripts/block.

HTH,

Ewan.