Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 and Pacifica

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 and Pacifica
From: Robin van Leeuwen <rvl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:48:51 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:44:38 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your reaction it's very appreciated.
I know this is "Xen-Devel" and not "Simnow-users"
but i downloaded simnow and at a first glance it looks
nice. I created a debian .hdd file with the disktool and
the debian-sarge-64-bit-network-install cd but
it keeps comming up with "No OS found" even when i
only use debian-sarge.hdd as primary and no other devices.

Can you give me a short answer? or point me in the right
direction (mailinglists, howto's etc) for the right
documentation.

Petersson, Mats wrote:
Robin,
I'm working on the development of SVM (Pacifica) for Xen. I can't really
tell you much about the status, because there are other people who
decide what is supposed to come out to whom and when, and I don't want
to leak anything that shouldn't be told. This isn't just me trying to be
difficult or anything, but has to do with the fact that AMD is a large,
publicly held company, and according to certain US laws, we have to tell
"everyone" if we tell someone, unless it's under NDA. Otherwise you get
into trouble. Or so I've been told...
The plan, certainly, contains supporting Windows XP/Server2K3 when we
release the patches to go into Xen public. But that would of course also
rely on Xen actually having the relevant support. I think it's (almost)
there right now, judging by public postings by Intel, so my guess is
that it will work when we release our source, but we can only guess at
this stage. As to which version of Xen it will be in, I can't really say
[as that would give you an indication of when we plan to release it, and
that's not for me to tell anyone].

If you go to http://developer.amd.com/downloads.aspx, you can find a
simulator that has SVM capability, it can be run on either Linux 64-bit
or Windows 64-bit, depending on the (lack of) taste of the user.

I'm sure that we will have some sort of pre-release version available
before the final release.
--
Mats