RE: [Xen-devel] questions about mem-max

To: "Li Ge" <lge@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] questions about mem-max
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 00:11:18 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:09:15 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am trying to understand how the command "xm mem-max" works
> and write some testcases for it. Here are some confusion I have:
>
> 1. Can maximum memory be adjusted for a domain at runtime by
> using 'xm mem-max'? Right now, I see that the max memory
> change made by 'xm mem-max' is only recorded by xend. There
> is no change in /proc/xen/balloon and /proc/meminfo.
>
> 2. If the answer to 1 is no, how to activate the change to
> the domain? How should I verify it?

max-mem isn't really intended as a user command. It doesn't really
server any purpose in a world with well-behaved VMs. What probably
should happen is that when balloning a domain down in size, xend should
periodically poll the domain's memory usage and set max-mem to be the
current usage plus some small slack. This would prevent a runaway domain
ignoring its memory target and trying to grow its allocation.

Ian