RE: [Xen-devel] linux/arch/xen/i386 or linux/arch/i386/xen

To: "Vincent Hanquez" <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Chris Wright" <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] linux/arch/xen/i386 or linux/arch/i386/xen
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 08:09:04 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:08:48 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Um, one other minor semantic issue.  The semantics of
using mach-xxx may be inappropriate.  If my understanding
is correct, two mach-xxx's cannot both be built, e.g. one
cannot build a kernel which supports (for i386) both
mach-es7000 and mach-voyager.

There have been various discussions on this list about
"transparent paravirtualization", i.e. the ability for
a paravirtualized kernel to run both as a guest of Xen
and on bare metal.  This is definitely an objective of
Xen/ia64.  Nobody has tried it for Xen/x86, but if it
can be done, I'm sure commercial companies and distros
would be eager to utilize it (one less set of bits to
support).

In many ways, a "xen" subdirectory is much more like
a "pci" or "math-emu" subdirectory, than a subarch.
For example, mach-es7000 and xen may need to co-exist
in the same kernel.

So, mach-xen may be a poor choice.  A subtle distinction
perhaps but when dealing with Linux kernel developers,
purity of thinking may avoid future patch submission
arguments.

So I'd vote for:

xen arch code in                arch/$(ARCH)/xen/
xen generic code in             drivers/xen/core/
xen arch includes in            include/asm-$(ARCH)/xen/
xen generic includes in         include/asm-xen/

though I realize this is not a democracy :-)