[Xen-devel] Re: Using Debian packages

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Using Debian packages
From: Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:55:56 +0200
Cache-post-path: aka.i.naked.iki.fi!unknown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cancel-lock: sha1:oSlpddJo9Y1BqkT1XXRu93Mtmqw=
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:57:57 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lars E. D. Jensen wrote:
> Onsdag den 16. marts 2005 09:17 skrev Ian Pratt:
>>> Does the 2.0.5 packages (kernel-patch-xen_2.0.5-1_i386.deb)
>>> apply to Debian
>>> kernels in the Sarge tree which is 2.6.8 at the moment?
>>>
>>> If so, is it possible to build a domU kernel using the debian
>>> packages too?
>>
>> If you've got a kernel built with all the drivers as modules, then
>> there's little point building a separate domU kernel -- just use
>> the same for privileged and unprivileged domains.
>
> Hmmm... I really have problems using those packages.
>
> Is there someone who is using those packages, if so... how do you
> use them?
>
> What kernel-source (from where) are you patching?
>
> Maybe a small step-by-step guide would be good.
>
> My problem is that I can't get a kernel compiled "the debian way"
> ... into a debian package.
>
> I'm not sure if I should use vanilla or not, but I've downloaded the
> vanilla 2.6.10 which kernel-patch-xen_2.0.5-1_i386.deb is for (I
> think). I've installed kernel-patch-xen_2.0.5-1_i386.deb and then
> copied my .config into source directory and run: make-kpkg
> --added-patches=xen --revision=xenserver.0.1 kernel_image
>
> It compiles fine, but is this the right way of doing it if I want a
> debian package?
>
> "make ARCH=xen menuconfig" fails since there is no xen arch in
> vanilla.
>
> Also I get this when trying to install the 2.0.5 Debian packages:
> Python C API version mismatch for module xen.lowlevel.xu: This
> Python has API version 1012, module xen.lowlevel.xu has version
> 1011.

Close, but not quite.

You can take a vanilla 2.6.10 or the Debian patched 2.6.10. I would
recommend the Debian patched one. You uncompress the kernel-source
somewhere, copy in your .config, that is fine.

The command you wish to run is:

  make-kpkg --added-patches=xen --arch=xen --subarch=xen0
--revision=xenserver.0.1 debian

This patches the kernel and creates the ./debian directory in your
source. After that you can run:

  make ARCH=xen menuconfig

And tune it to your liking. And after that, you compile the kernel:

  make-kpkg --added-patches=xen --arch=xen --subarch=xen0
--revision=xenserver.0.1 kernel-image

And you are done. Not all of the flags need to be present in all
phases, but it doesn't hurt either. Do also note that make-kpkg has
some problems with --initrd combined with --arch=xen, so don't do
that.

-- Naked