Re: [Xen-devel] virtual machine migration question

To: Eric Tessler <maiden1134@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] virtual machine migration question
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:16:51 -0600
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:18:47 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Tessler wrote:

When you migrate a virtual machine from one machine to another, on the target machine does XEN execute any scripts related to the new virtual machine or is it purely a state transfer between the two machines?

Yes and no. The current implementation transfers a configuration file that's essentially the state of the domain (represented in S-Expressions). Reading in that state will likely result in the execution of certain scripts.

I can certainly imagine scenarios where you would want to define a script that's associated with the bring-up of a VM and that you would need some mechanism to marshall up the script and send it along with the VM. This introduces all sorts of interesting problems though.

Basically, I don't think configuration migration is a solved problem yet. It's something I want to explore in vm-tools.

Regards,
Anthony Liguori

Thanks,
Eric