Re: [Xen-devel] autotoolizing xen?

To: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] autotoolizing xen?
From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:20:48 -0800
Cc: Tobias Hunger <tobias@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:21:26 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Tobias Hunger wrote:

I was wondering what the general opinion on autotoolizing xen is? I am
volunteering to do so, if there is interest in updating the build system
to use autoconf, automake and/or libtool.

oh, please don't do this. I do not like those things at all.

I agree, please do not go down that road. Look at 'GNU helloworld' for an (extreme) example of how horibbly bloated this will make your software. On my Gentoo box the configure scripts often take longer to run than the actual build of the software itself.

Instead, use a better build system. I am using Jam (which is public domain) for my stuff, and that works perfectly, and the build specifications are a lot simpler that the xen Makefiles.

For example, here is my Jamfile for tools/libxc:

SubDir TOP tools libxc  ;

SubDirHdrs $(TOP) tools libxutil ;

Library libxc :
xc_atropos.c
xc_bvtsched.c
xc_domain.c
xc_evtchn.c
xc_io.c
xc_linux_build.c
xc_linux_restore.c
xc_linux_save.c
xc_misc.c
xc_physdev.c
xc_plan9_build.c
xc_private.c
xc_rrobin.c
;

Contrast that with corresponding Makefile, and you will see how much simpler the Jamfile is. Jam also handles all the tedious stuff like header-dependencies without littering your tree with .dep files, and having it output target files to a separate build-directory (which once you've tried it you will never want to live without, saves you a lot of 'make clean's) is trivial, just set a single variable at the top level.

Some really big commercial code bases use Jam. If you look at the 'Jamming' mailing list archives you will find build-masters from very well known software companies on there. Personally I have used it to build a game which retailed more than 3 million copies, on four very different platforms.

Jacob