Re: [Xen-devel] hardware-watchdog driver problems in linux 2.6.10-xen0

To: "Mark A. Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] hardware-watchdog driver problems in linux 2.6.10-xen0
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:03:53 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:05:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:27:56PM +0000, Mark A. Williamson wrote:
> Hrrrrmm.  I don't see anything obvious in either the driver or the userspace
> program that could cause a trip up here...

OK. That's what I think too..

> > I'm trying to run w83627hf_wdt.ko watchdog driver in domain 0 (xenlinux
> > 2.6.10-xen0), but the driver doesn't seem to work (the machine reboots all
> > the time after the watchdog-timeout set in BIOS).
>
> Can you check the user space watchdog daemon is running? (as root)

User space watchdog daemon? The w83627hf_wdt.ko doesn't need userspace
daemon, because the watchdog is in the hardware and the w83627hf_wdt.ko
driver controls it.

> > Is there something that could prevent the driver from accessing the
> > watchdog-hardware (io-ports/registers) ?
>
> Not in dom0, although this would be the case in other domains.

Yep..

> > I also tried to run userspace program to check the status of the watchdog..
> > it simply returns zeroes all the time, meaning communication failure with
> > the watchdog.. could this be related to xen?
>
> You did run this with root privileges, right?

Yep, I was running it with root privileges.

Meanwhile I tested the drivers under native Linux without xen, and it didn't
work either..
so this might have nothing to with xen. The first impression was it is xen
related because the watchdog should work with that driver (according to
motherboard vendor's support).

I'll double check/test everything.

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^